2015/11/18

SD sized ball gown - WIP

This is an old project of mine having been on hiatus for about a year now. Decided I would kick myself in motion again and finish what I started.

Back then I got quite a bit of sewing done for the main dress, if one could call it such. The list of garments were as follows: socks, long bloomers, chemise, crinoline cage, petticoat, over skirt, jacket, spoon bonnet, purse and a parasol.

The crinoline cage I had already put together, didn't get pictures of the in between process of putting it together but can say as much that it is steel boning for the hoops and they are all adjustable by an inch or so.


There I had yet to sew the hoops onto the string and ended up taking it little over an inch in as it was far too long.


I was really bad at shooting progress pictures which really is a shame, but yeah, finished crinoline on the left and the petticoat on the right.
Having finished that part I went to cutting out fabric and sewing together the overdress and, again, I didn't get progress pictures of that either.


Here it is all sown together, just needing the top and a zipper in the back.

Actually did get a few pictures of the progress of the top of that skirt back then, granted it isn't much, but it's something.



Later added ruffles to the hem of it as it looked barren and just to get a feel for how it would look attached to the skirt I made a mock up.


It actually got to look quite nice once it got sown together properly.




The lace and ribbon detail around the waist did get to be sown onto the dress in the end, can always remove the ribbon if it should come to be in the way of things.

So, that out of the way I started drawing patterns for the bloomers and chemise. I didn't have a specific pattern in mind so just drew what came to mind and went crazy finding lace and ribbons to really doll it up with. Sadly no in progress pictures of this either, seems to be a recurring problem of mine with all of my projects, but of course I do have one of the finished outcome.


The bloomers are crotchless, meaning they aren't sown together all the way in the crotch.

This was where things grinded to a halt. I waited forever on some fabric in the mail and when it finally arrived I was busying myself with other things and this project was set on a longer-than-expected hiatus.

I have gotten new ideas for it in the meantime. Still going to sew a purse and doing a few minor changes to a parasol I bought on eBay by changing the cover fabric and decorating it nicely. For the dress I'm going to be adding long detachable sleeves in some black see through fabric, there will be a long sleeves bolero with puffy shoulders, and a bustle skirt with a corsage-like underbust being tied together with ribbon in the front
The fabric I've chosen to sew all of this from looks like this:

 

But before I even put scissors near it I will have to work on fabricating patterns for all of this and hopefully I will have enough fabric when all comes to all. Else I just have to put up an order for some more and at least the 1st ain't so far away.

I will try my best to cover some more of the in progress state of things and update you along the way.

TBC

2 comments:

  1. It's such an impressive work of art! :) I love how talented and hardworking you are!

    ReplyDelete

BO: DikaDoll Pan NS